Sun Lakes Rock, Gem & Silver Club
Field Rock Trip Collection & Safety Recommendations
- Wear appropriate clothing, hats, sunglasses, etc. for the weather exposure and environmental (desert) conditions.
- Use appropriate shoes for the rough terrain. Recommend high top hiking shoes.
- Wear safety gear such as a hard hat, safety glasses, gloves, etc.
- Bring and use tools such as a rock hammer, pick, shovel, chisel, etc. properly and safely to avoid injuring yourself or others around you.
- Bring enough water, food and sun screen.
- Bring a first aid kit and tweezers to remove any cactus needles.
- Use a proper vehicle for the collection site terrain.
- Ensure you have at least one serviceable properly inflated spare tire and a working car jack.
- Carry a cell telephone and whistle (in case no cell service) to alert other if you need assistance.
- If you own one, bring a vehicle GPS. If not, bring a compass and map.
- When possible explore / collect with a buddy.
- Retain the Field Trip Leader’s cell phone number to notify in case of an emergency.
- Be aware of and take precautions against environmental exposures such as the sun, heat, cold, desert cactus, insects (scorpions, spiders, etc.), and animals (rattlesnakes, bears, etc.)