Sun Lakes Rock, Gem & Silver Club
Pre-Field Trip Process
- Field Trips announcements will be made at the Sun Lakes Rock, Gem & Silver Club (SLRG&SC) monthly meeting and will be posted on the club website. Samples or photographs of rocks/minerals that can be found on a field trip will be displayed by the sign-up sheet.
- Sign-up. Members interested in participating in an upcoming field trip can sign up at the monthly meeting Field Trip desk. Members must list their full name, e-mail address and contact telephone number.
- Non-members. Adult and child non-members are welcome to participate in a field trip.
- Children. Children can accompany a SLR&GC member; however, this member assumes sole responsibility for the child’s safety and sole liability for the child’s actions, omissions or negligence in accordance with the local or state laws, rules, regulations and legal precedents.
- Participant’s agreement. Participants must review and abide by the Pre-Field Trip Process and the Field Trip Process & Rules, pay the required field trip fee and sign an Informed Consent/ Assumption of Risk / Waiver of Liability form (copies can be found on the website, at the monthly meeting and at the field trip kick-off site). Members with children must sign a waiver of liability on their behalf and review the Field Trip Rules and Safety recommendations with them as they (member) will be held responsible for their compliance. Anyone who refuses to sign a waiver will not be allowed to participate in the field trip.
- Per-Trip Fees. Members: $5. Non-Members: $10. Any collection site owner charges or entrance fees will be in addition to these fees.
- Ride-sharing/Volunteer drivers. Ride-sharing is highly encouraged and appreciated as parking is often limited at collection sites, and certain trips may require a 4X4 or a high clearance vehicle (SUV) to reach the collection site. Therefore, the Field Trip coordinator will send an e-mail to the participants asking them if they own a 4X4 or a high clearance vehicle, and if they can take additional passengers (including how many) with them. To encourage volunteer drivers the club recommends passengers offer to share in the expenses (gas, car wash, park entrance fees, etc.) incurred to drive to these collection sites.
- Field Trip Notification. All participants who signed up will be sent an e-mail reminder notification one week before the scheduled field trip. The e-mail will contain the following; Trip Leader with contact information, Date of trip, Meeting location, Meeting time, Estimated time home, Estimated mileage, Fees including any collection site owner fees, Rocks and Minerals that can be found, Collecting Method, Vehicle Type, Terrain Type, Tools needed, Directions to pre-site meeting location, Safety precautions, Comments or Recommendations.
- Kick-off meeting location. The kick-off meeting site will be either the Sun Lakes Country Club (Phase One) or Cottonwood Country Club parking lot.
- Safety Recommendations and Field Process and Trip Rules. Please review and comply with these documents.